r 01, 2011

MEDAN:
All 18 people aboard a plane that crashed on Indonesia's Sumatra island
were found dead Saturday, an official said, after two days of hampered
efforts to reach the remote jungle site.
Hopes that some on board
the aircraft might be alive had been raised when a victim's mother
reported that her daughter had called her from the plane after the crash
Thursday, and aerial photos showed the main cabin largely intact.
But
after rescuers finally reached the site, national search and rescue
operations head Sunarbowo Sandi announced: "We received a radio response
from our team on the ground that all 18 people on the plane had died.
"The passengers were still in their seats."
The
turboprop plane owned by Nusantara Buana Air took off from Medan in
North Sumatra on Thursday morning heading for the nearby province of
Aceh.
But it sent a distress signal soon afterwards and crashed
at 1,100 metres (3,600 feet) in the mountainous Bohorok area about 70
kilometres (40 miles) northwest of Medan.
The weather and rough
terrain had for two days prevented rescuers from reaching the crash
location by foot and by helicopter, forcing three teams travelling by
land and several helicopters to return to Medan.
A clear morning
Saturday allowed rescuers to finally reach the victims and build an
emergency helipad to land near the site and recover the bodies.
But the operation was again halted by late afternoon when bad weather returned.
"We've stopped the recovery because the weather is very bad and there is a thick fog," said Medan air base head Suharyonno.
But
after a full day of official accounts that all 18 were dead, a
transport ministry official gave a conflicting report that it was too
early to be sure.
"We don't yet know if the passengers are dead
or injured. Hopefully we will know for sure by this evening," ministry
spokesman Freddy Numberi told local news website Detik.com.
A
woman named Lita said on live television Saturday that her calls to a
passenger named Astuti, who was travelling with her children, were being
answered until Friday night.
"I tried to call Astuti, and each
time a girl would pick up and say 'Hello, hello'. The last time it was a
boy. I think it was her little boy," she said.
As rescue officials said all 18 on board were dead, scores of relatives who had gathered in Bohorok let out cries of despair.
Some passed out and were taken away on stretchers, while others lambasted the government for its slow response.
Reike
Andriani, whose relatives on board the aircraft included a 20-month-old
baby, said she was angered by the delayed rescue attempts.
"Why
did this process take so long? They just kept saying that they would
reach there soon, and they kept blaming the weather," she said.
Another woman added: "They just kept saying the weather was bad, the weather was bad. They don't have a proper system."
The
Indonesian Transport Association said the rescue teams had followed
standard procedures and had done their best given the "impossible"
conditions.
"The weather in Bohorok is extreme and unpredictable.
There was heavy rain, fog and strong winds," the head of the
association's aviation forum Suharto Abdul said.
The incident is the fourth fatal air crash in Indonesia in the past month.
A helicopter chartered by US giant Newmont Mining crashed last Sunday in central Indonesia, killing two people on board.